December 2, 2016

Trouble


Dylan cocked his head, just watching Ashlee, and enjoying the fact that she liked it here as much as he did. Relaxing a bit, he took one foot out of his stirrup, and put his leg up over his saddle to sit almost sideways. “Yeah, actually...I come here a lot,” he admitted. “If I gotta exercise some of the horses, sometimes I’ll bring ‘em here just so I can hang out a little while in the peace and quiet.” 

It sounded strange, perhaps. He kept to himself so much, that one would think he had plenty of quiet. “Guess I like the solitude and being away from people sometimes...less likely to get into trouble that way.” 

Sharpshooter bobbed his head and shifted a little, anxious to get going, even though Dylan held him still. He’d wait and let Ashlee enjoy her time. They’d still make it back to the ranch when they were supposed to. 


Expecting to be chided for stopping his route when not told to, Aaron was rather surprised when Sam just sat down with him. Her response to his past made one of his eyebrows arc as well. No snide comment about having a record when he was just twelve? Was she seriously that much different than Hal? 

He stayed quiet as she talked, and looked at the long scar on her arm. It looked like it had been quite a nasty injury, and he could imagine the pain. Was it really the same thing, though? He stretched out his leg across the step and fiddled with one of his crutches. “What happened to the guy who shot you?” 

“I don’t understand why...” It really did boggle Gunner’s mind. Especially after recent events. He wasn’t surprised they cared, but to this extent...not giving up on him...that’s what he couldn’t understand. 

“And I don’t know how to get better,” he concluded softly. “I just...everything is such a mess. I just wanna go home. But I don’t. I...I just wanted a future...with you and ...and I’ve screwed it all up.” He sighed and slipped his hand from hers so he could put his arm around her. “I’m sorry.”