May 2, 2017

Too Good to be True

As Sam took Hal's hand, it sent a gentle wave of peace through him, slowly helping him relax. His feet eventually slid off the couch to rest on the floor again, proving the tension was lessening. Even though his gaze remained on the ceiling, he did listen, and for a few moments he was simply quiet. Maybe she was right. Maybe he did have to give more than he had been, and just trust that Alison really was happy and doing what she wanted. 

His eyes drifted down to look at their hands. Ever so slowly, he flattened his fingers until their palms rested against each other. Gently he turned his hand, just feeling her soft touch, then let his fingers trace her own, running his fingertips along her knuckles, around her thumb, then back to her palm where he softly held her hand again. 

"Can you imagine me in an international airport?" His eyes rose to meet hers, and a little grin showed itself at the corner of his mouth. "I'd be an anxious wreck." He sighed and shifted to sit a little more sideways to face her, and rested his head on the back of the couch. "Maybe I have been holding on to Alison too tightly," he admitted. "I just... I hardly see her even once a year the way it is and... it's just even harder to travel to another country. Maybe I'm imagining things but..." He swallowed hard. "I dunno... I just have this feeling Alison's on her way to drawing further and further away from me and... becoming more like her mother." 

He shrugged. "Not saying I won't try to go visit her, because I think that's more probable than her coming back here... just not sure I could even handle it, which... leaves little hope of... much of anything." 


Seeing how pleased Destiny was with the flowers made Zan feel good. He was glad he'd chosen something she'd like. Hearing about their food, his eyes lit up. "Oh man... I'm starting to worry you're gonna end up too good to be true." His smile returned, making little crinkles at the corners of his eyes. "I'd say we're more than ready for a picnic." 

He picked up the basket so she wouldn't have to carry it, and followed her outside, leading the way to his borrowed car. It didn't take long to reach the park where there were many people scattered all about. Adults and children alike were mingling, walking, running, playing ball and simply having fun. There were vendors around, some selling food, others selling crafts. At one end, a large screen had been erected where they were showing movies, although after dark it would be seen best. 

Zan parked in a little gravel lot where there was less traffic, then helped Destiny get all the stuff out of the car. Finding a spot in the grass that was a bit quieter, he set the chairs aside and spread the blanket on the ground before sitting close to Destiny. "Okay... let's see how good these sandwiches of yours are before my stomach eats itself." He... may have skipped lunch again today.