May 25, 2017

Company

Aaron gave Sam a little smirk as he kept working on his cold treat. "I'm not sure I'll ever believe the Elite cares. You, maybe, but not the Elite. There's always an end game. Besides..."

He paused as he licked some ice cream that had started to dribble down the side of the cone. "If I didn't give up information, I wouldn't have the option of getting out of there, right? You called it a sign of good faith once. But really, it's just an ultimatum. It's not free will that's prying the intel from me - it's mere survival. I talk, I get out. I don't, I rot in that little room." He shrugged. "I think you've been nice to me because that's your personality. If you weren't here though, I think they'd just let me sit until I finally caved or went crazy."

He bit into the ice cream cone, enjoying it. "If I said I wanted a new life but I didn't want to risk sharing Agency secrets... Would you still help me get my own place?"


Garret couldn't hide that his eyes lit up at Nate's suggestion. As much as he had grown to love the little family - even if he wouldn't admit it - he did need his own space. "I like that idea." He nodded his agreement. "Just, um... don't mention it to Maggie yet okay?" He wouldn't want to admit his fondness for the girl either, let alone his recognition that she thought so highly of him. But he did know if anybody was going to miss him, it would be her, and he wasn't ready to see those disappointed eyes just yet.


Dylan walked slowly back towards the barn after a good long ride on Seven. It was late afternoon now, and even though his dad had given him the day off, he couldn't just sit back and watch the others take care of chores. He could finish packing later.

He was almost to the barn when his phone buzzed on his belt. Odd. Stopping, he looked at it and lifted his eyebrows when he saw who it was. "Hunter?" He smiled a little and leaned back against the barn wall. "What's up?"

"Hey! Heard you're headed my way!"

"Yep. Tomorrow. How'd you know?"

"Your dad and I had a little chat."

"Oh."

"Now don't go jumping to conclusions. He said you were gonna stay with Jason, but that Jason's own situation isn't that stable. I don't know anything about that, but I offered to have you stay with me. If you want, that is."

Dylan perked up. He liked Jason okay but he really got along with Hunter. "Really?"

Hunter chuckled. "Really. All I got is a spare room with an air mattress, but it's yours if you want it."

"Did... did my Dad say if I still had a choice?"

"Oh yeah. To tell you the truth, he just wanted to let me know you were coming so maybe we could hang out sometime."

"You mean keep an eye on me."

"Now, now... no. That's the Elite's job. He knew I'd want to see you. It was my own idea for you to stay with me. It's completely up to you and I won't be offended if you say no."

Dylan dug his toe into the dirt as he thought. He really did find the idea appealing. "Okay. I... think I'd like that."

"Great! Just let me know when you're getting close and I'll be waiting for ya. I'll text you my address."

"No need." Dylan grinned at his phone. "I think Katie and Jason know how to get there."

There was a slight pause. "Right."

Dylan withheld a snicker as he finished up their conversation and finally headed into the barn.


"Well... that's that." Hunter gave Ryan a squeeze as they sat together on his couch. "Looks like I'll have company for a while so..." He leaned in close and kissed her neck playfully. "Maybe we should take advantage of this quiet moment..."