March 3, 2017

Excuses

Hunter murmured his satisfaction as he took a bite of supper, glad Ryan had chosen to fix something rather than go out. "Mm..." He nodded. "Few new racers have been in and out. Biggest thorn in my side has been Thunder Jenkins. And yes, he goes by that." He rolled his eyes. "He's the guy I beat by that stupid spin out like right before you rode with me. He's been on my tail ever since though. Because I was losing to him, now he thinks he can gain the number one spot again." 

He shook his head as he chewed slowly. "He likes to play dirty but I've been learning his tricks. I predict if he loses a couple more times, he'll get bored and move on. Otherwise..." He thought for a moment. "Couple months ago had a hotrod show up and was so out of control he totaled his car first race. He caused a big enough accident that the race was called. Nobody was happy - especially those who were banking on money." He smirked. "Like me." 

He knew it was a risky game he played. Gambling was anything but safe. If he raced, he put money down on himself. If he didn't, he'd become pretty skilled at picking winning drivers to bet on. But no matter how good he was at judging a driver, there was still a lot of chance involved and...he didn't always win. Usually, but not always. 

It didn't take long to finish up supper, and before they knew it, they were headed to the race. It was after dark, and the city lights were all aglow until they were outside the limits. And then there was the new glow of car lights, a couple fires in barrels, and anything electronic that glowed or lit up. From a distance, it was mesmerizing. 

Pulling up into the crowd, there were those who turned their noses up at Hunter's car, and those who waved enthusiastically. Typical. One enthusiastic wave was Miles, which made Hunter grin and wave too. "Good crowd tonight," he mused before glancing over at Ryan. "We got time to kill. Wanna sit here or get out and mingle?" 


Scott nodded slowly. "Yeah... Justin suggested the same thing about the shakes. I think I could handle that." He tried to eat another bite of sandwich, and wound up giving Domino a little piece too, for which she wagged her stumpy tail, then trotted over to Hope to see if she could get the same thing. 

"Um... he said protein, and wants me to try and eat more fruits and vegetables too for the vitamins. I guess when I'm not feeling well, either I don't eat anything, or what I do eat is processed junk." He sighed. Breaking the habit was hard, especially when he didn't feel well. But maybe... maybe if he actually let Hope help, he'd be able to do it. 


Jamison smirked up at Dalton and shook his head. "Meant to be?" That sounded like a romantic line, and there was certainly no romance involved. "I kinda doubt it. And... if I don't have a legit reason to be at the University, she's definitely going to think I'm stalking her."

He finished off his piece of jerky and shrugged. "At least I know her last name now. I could always.... check out some classes to continue my education..." He gave Dalton a wry grin. Yes, he was still thinking up ways to go there in spite of his own excuses.


Travis listened to Angel and understood what she was saying. He really was trying not to make mistakes, especially after getting into trouble. He'd never hurt Ashlee, and certainly didn't want to head down the wrong path with her. There were certainly temptations there, but he knew well enough to keep their relationship pure. It was hard to please their parents too though, when all he wanted to do was spend all his time with her. "Yeah... I get what you're saying." 

Glancing up, he saw Ashlee was getting coffee, then looked back to Angel. "Thanks for talking..." He really meant it. It was different than talking to his dad, and he liked it. His eyes traveled back to Ashlee, and seeing she had her coffee, he waved her over. He knew she was trying not to interrupt, but the conversation was done...at least for now. He had a feeling he'd be talking to Angel more though, as time went on.