December 10, 2016

Please


As Angel came up behind Travis and spoke to him, her touch triggered such a response that he recoiled, jerking away from her hand. And the look he gave her was pure fear. Only afterward did he realize what he’d just done and why, and his face paled. He wasn’t scared of her. She’d never strike out like his mother had always done. And yet he’d still reacted under this emotional stress. “I-I-I’m sorry,” he stammered quietly. What had she just said to him? He wasn’t even sure. “I just… I mean… what?”

Off to the side, Lane’s brow furrowed. Travis’ strange behavior hadn’t escaped him. What was going on?


“You did the right thing,” Eric assured Stacy. He slipped his arm around her and gave her a squeeze. “Well. Being grounded for life might be just a tad much.” He managed a small smile. “I agree with her grounding and no riding, though. Whether she likes Travis or not, she has to understand she can’t just go off like that. I wish I could just blame Travis entirely, but…I know she willingly went along and I don’t want her to think there aren’t any consequences with me either.”

He kissed her cheek gently before standing. “I’m gonna go see if she’ll talk to me. If not, I’ll try later.” It only took a minute or two to walk to Stacy and Ashlee’s bunkhouse, and he lightly tried the doorknob, finding it locked. No surprise. He knocked. “Ashlee? Would you let me in, please. I’d really like to talk to you.”