December 2, 2016

Klutz


Aaron stared Sam in the eye, confident he could take her, knee pain or not. But what he also knew was that they were being watched. And Hal would show up with a shotgun within seconds if he tried anything. “The only thing I regret is ever coming here.” 

Straightening and lowering his hands, he walked stiffly to the cell. Just past the open door though, his knee had had enough of his antics and gave out completely. Falling to the floor, he curled up to hold his knee and writhed in pain. A stream of curses came next, and he closed his eyes shut tight, trying to just keep breathing so he wouldn’t pass out. 

With a saddle in front of him, Travis took the rag and oil from Ashlee, and nodded. “The smell is the best,” he agreed. He started rubbing a little oil into the saddle and a new smile emerged. “Yeah...I’ve done this a few times. My dad made sure I knew how. He was bound and determined I’d know how to ride and take care of tack. I think he’d always hoped I’d wind up doing something like he was and...I was pretty sure I wouldn’t.” He rolled his eyes. “And now I’m here. Go figure.” 

Staying seated next to Ashlee so they could work on the same saddle, he made slow circles, just letting the oil soak into the dry leather, and didn’t move on to another spot until he was satisfied it had been softened enough. His hand bumped Ashlee’s as he accidentally moved to where she was working, and he grinned. “Oh, sorry.” He purposely reached over to where she was working, his shoulder nudging hers. “Oops,” he teased. “Guess I’m just a klutz.”