October 28, 2016

Flippant

Slipping her arms around Nate, Laura smiled up at him. His question did cause some hesitance in her eyes, but she nodded. "I'll be fine. I've got Janet if I need her, and you're a phone call away."

If anyone was to ask if she feared being alone with Garret, she would have to conclude that he was no less dangerous with one or ten people in the house. She'd heard and seen enough to know that while having Nate there might make her more at ease, if anything were to happen, nobody in this household would probably be able to stop it. In reality, she didn't anticipate any problems though. Garret had proven he might be a walking time bomb, but he also had shown great respect while in this house. There was no reason to think that was going to stop.

Laura gave Nate an extra squeeze. "Be safe. Let me know when you might be home."


"Jason, would you... just... no!" Rick threw his hands in the air. "Why do I even try?!"

It was a while later, and Jason was so done with being in the infirmary. He already had his shirt back on and was wanting to leave, despite Rick trying to get him to stay put. "Oh, just relax. It's not like it's something new." He swayed just a little as he slipped his boots back on.

Rick crossed his arms grouchily and looked at Katie. "I guess he's all yours. Have fun."

Jason smirked and put his foot up on the bed to lace his boot, but discovered that any amount of movement, even just his fingers, was far too painful. 

"Uh-huh." Rick rolled his eyes. "That's why rest is important. But if you insist on leaving - the reasons for which are beyond me - then here." He grabbed a sling. "Katie, do not - I repeat, do not - let him use this arm for the next forty-eight hours." He helped Jason into the sling and get it adjusted, then glared up at him. "You hear me?" 

"I hear ya, I hear ya." Jason looked down at his feet. "Still can't tie my shoes."

"Guess you'll trip and fall, smash your face and come back for a band aid." Rick stalked back to his work area and flopped down in his chair. 

"What did I do?" Jason looked to Katie, then Misty, and back again. "Come on - I got work to do. It's a flesh wound." 

Rick refused to look up again. Jason had always been too quick to get back to work, but he had become downright flippant lately, and it was aggravating to say the least. Rick didn't appreciate his attitude and lack of concern in any of this, and he didn't understand why Jason seemed to be taking this situation - and his health - so lightly. 


"Reese...got a moment?"

Reese looked up from his desk to see Kirk, who had finally arrived for who knows what. "Actually...no, I don't." He was in no mood to play anymore games or be put down by the FBI agent. "We're in the middle of a situation, and unless ordered otherwise by someone who has the authority to tell me what to do, I'd suggest you sit quietly or just leave and come back another day."

Kirk's eyebrows rose. He'd heard the scuttlebutt about Jason - that was probably what Reese was referring to. "Anything I can do to help?"

"Yes." Reese stood, paperwork in hand. "Move."

Kirk sighed, but stepped out of the way as Reese exited the office. He knew he'd been harsh before, but...this was going to be harder than he thought. He exited as well and just stood back against the wall after pulling out his phone to send a text to Adison.

Pls tell me ur day is going better than mine. 
Im the bad guy and idk if i can fix it.
If Id known I was gonna be back, I mighta done things dif. 
Nothing but cold shoulders.

He sighed. It was no surprise. But that didn't make it easier. He needed to talk to Reese - soon - about the upcoming changes. But he didn't want to have to bully his way back in at this point.